Saturday, October 10, 2015

Stumbling Blocks & Realizations


Hey there. 
This week was not as great as last week. But not bad either. I'm probably not going to write a ton because I'm not in the mood to be doing this....but I made a commitment to myself to preserve our memories this way lol even when I want to be doing something else. So here goes.

It's Spooktacular!

"Sheryl" always has me in mind when she finds the cutest holiday decorations. I noticed that the majority of what I have is from her. And I love decorating for each holiday! The holidays are things to look forward to and celebrate and have fun with. (And the dogs are loving their Halloween bell. They ring it even if they don't want to go out. They just like the way it sounds apparently.)

Principal Mecham is Over the Hill

To celebrate the principal's 50th birthday all the teachers wore black and decorated the faculty lounge in over the hill signs and streamers and stuff. The students all made cards on black paper and hung them around the school in the hallways. And we got cake at lunch! I noticed it was really hard for me to dress in all black lol it's not really my style so I couldn't resist wearing a bright turquoise necklace with it.

Date Last Weekend

We went bowling with Rachael and Randy! It was a lot of fun, and since we hadn't seen them in a while it was good to catch up. They're so fun we always laugh the whole time. Plus, Dallin was officially introduced to the song "Down Town" and loved it. I hated the length my hair was at in these pictures, because it was just barely reaching my shoulders it was always poofy and flippy so after this I chopped it more.
Here's the video. We all laughed at him for not having heard it before. It's pretty good.

The Saga Comes to An End

I seriously cried. Why do the writers of every show I get into feel the need to wreck you emotionally at the end of their shows? This, Chuck, Gilmore Girls, and Prison Break all have terrible endings that repeatedly beat you in the feels 'till you cry. I'm not kidding. Why on earth did they kill off Ted's one-true-love and let him chase is best friends' ex-wife? Why did Sarah have to lose her memory? Why did Rory have to say no to Logan's proposal? And why did Michael Scofeild have to die?
Ugh these shows are killing me. 
I think it's the universe sending me a sign that I need a less depressing hobby.

This is where the title of the post starts to make sense.

Like I said, this was not a great week. We had some major issues in my P.E. class again, and I am often flooded with feelings of inadequacy in that subject, so needless to say I was happy for the weekend to come. After I calmed down I realized that I'm harder on myself than anyone else is, and the issues we've had I could have never anticipated. Now I know for next time. The lesson I learned was to teach students about sportsmanship before playing a game. lol 
So yes, teaching is not always a picnic, but I still absolutely love what I'm doing. And I still feel very very lucky, because there are a lot of people who didn't get the opportunity to do what they want. 

And this is where it gets better.

The week wasn't a total bust because the day after the P.E. fiasco, a bunch of the students went in on this treat for me to make it up to me. They came up to me on their own accord, apologized, and gave me candy with a card. (My favorite candies too!) See? That's what makes it all worth it. And that's why I'm lucky. I have great students!

Nails!

The other thing that I love about teaching is that students remember and notice things that adults don't. A bunch of the girl students started noticing my nails, and I told them I paint them every weekend, so now on Mondays they always ask to see my nails. hahaha "It's the simple things in life you treasure." It sounds stupid but it makes me feel good.


Graff Girls Day

Shanna and Michelle took me to get pedicures for my birthday! It was so fun because we went to that place that dips your feet in wax. It's amazing. They're so fun to be with and it was perfectly relaxing. Thank you graff girls! We decided it was so awesome that we need to start doing that at least monthly.

So there's the haircut

And the lipstick! It's only 1 inch shorter but it makes all the difference. I went to my mom's and she did it for me and she did great! Afterward she told me she hadn't done that cut in like 30 years lol but luckily it went well. 

Our Home Meet

We hosted a race at our school for cross country, and it was a lot of work. 12 and 13 year olds seem to get easily confused with running routes, so I had about a thousand cones, sidewalk chalk arrows, signs, and parents directing them (plus I drew maps!). The students on the team helped me set up, and drew a fancy finish line (as you can see below.) The only trouble is, all the routes I came up with were too short and I was running out of time before the race, so I just asked the high school cross country coach. I apparently misunderstood him, and our race ended up being a 1/2 mile too short! Luckily no one was mad, but it was soooooo embarrassing. Just another one of those, "Now I know for next time" moments. I feel like I have those every day, and it's getting really annoying. I hate looking incompetent, but I guess this first year is all about learning the ropes. My mom came to the race to support us! She helped out a lot, and took pictures for the yearbook. It was good to have her there. We only have regionals and state left and then the season's over! It went by so fast! It's tiring, so a part of me is glad, but I think a part of me will also miss it too. 

My birthday present from "Miss-Shell."

We had a mix-up with the mail delivery, so it came late because it went to the wrong place and they gave me the wrong key...etc. Anyway here it is and it's so cute! It's a box to keep my sewing stuff in. She is very thoughtful and always finds the cutest stuff for us. Thank you shelly!

Look how freakin' cute the kids are!

Feel free to scroll down if you're sick of my puppy pictures.
Jakey likes watching football! Seriously look at him on the right below!

The entertaining mind of a 13 year old

I found this in the recycling bin and I was cracking up about it!

Our Date Yesterday

We went to cornbelly's at Thanksgiving point for the first time ever! I can't believe we've been missing out on that! It was really fun! We didn't have to wait in any lines, I had a coupon, we had the best hot chocolate and mexican corn on the cob ever, and we had a blast in a corn maze!
They did this cool thing in the corn maze where you answer trivia questions and your answers tell you which way to go. We got very lost and it took us longer than expected, but we laughed the whole time. It was great. It was their 20th anniversary of doing the festival so they had fireworks. And before we went we got pizza at the Slab pizzeria.



I guess that's all!

This was a quote on Dallin's phone that I liked. We're both right in the thick of it at our jobs, so it's been helpful to come home and have someone to talk to about it. I'm glad that I'm going through this phase of life with him and not alone. He makes everything better. 

Off to paint the table

Yes, we're still working on it. But we're almost done! Gotta go we're going to paint.
Hope this finds you well.

-Syd


No comments :

Post a Comment